So what is your record for going without sleep?
Are you an early riser or a late nighter? Are you a side sleeper, back sleeper, or stomach sleeper? Do you have trouble falling asleep, or do you wake up in the night? We could continue because this is such a common subject.
Sleep has one basic purpose and that is to give down time to the bodies systems, to rest, rejuvenate and repair themselves. Something happens during sleep that cannot happen in any other way! Sleep deprivation is even a form of torture! Haha yes, some of you are self tortuous every night!
There are different types of rest, almost as many as there are sleep positions. Here are a few: physical, soul, spiritual, labor, burdens, struggles, and it goes on.
One of the first phrases in Psalm 23 goes like this, "he lets me rest in green meadows". God has wired us with the need for rest in all areas of our being. All of these areas need rest for the process of rejuvenation and repair. Our relationship with Jesus is meant to be a catalyst of rejuvenation, renewal, and repair. Psalm 23 reveals his work as our shepherd, or as the New Testament tells us, the Bishop of our souls!
This psalm is filled with all of the ways we need his daily shepherding for a healthy vibrant soul! Meditate upon each of the phrases in this psalm, then choose from one of the words that I list following it and ask Jesus to provide it as your shepherd! You might try this as an exercise for a few days, as you may choose a different word for each day. They all are revealed in the psalm as the work of our shepherd.
- The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. - Ask anything
- He lets me rest in green meadows - Bounty
- He leads me beside peaceful streams - Refreshment
- He renews my strength - Rejuvenation
- He guides me along right paths, bringing honour to his name. - Wisdom
- Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid for you are close beside me. - Hope
- Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me - Safety
- You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies - Celebration
- You honour me by anointing my head with oil - Value and honouring
- My cup overflows with blessings - Joy
- Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever - Home